Friday 2 March 2012

Early Season Mothing

The mild overnight temperatures over the last week have been ideal for some early season moth trapping, so I put my trap out twice and was rewarded with a total of 54 moths of 13 species over the two days. The majority of the species were expected such as Common Quaker, Small Quaker, March Moth, Hebrew Character, Twin Spotted Quaker, Dotted Border, Early Thorn and Pale Brindled Beauty.

Pale Brindled Beauty

The Small Brindled Beauty is a species usually associated with woodland and parkland, and over the two nights, a total of seven moths were trapped.....

Small Brindled Beauty

          .......along with six Spring Usher's. This species is widespread and common over much of England and Wales, and is extremely variable both in size and the pattern of the wings.

Spring Usher

The surprise package came in the form of an Early Moth. I have never recorded this species in my garden before in 13 years of mothing here, which is surprising given that it is considered to be widespread and common over much of England and Wales. The female is wingless and sits on the stems of hawthorn and blackthorn, and it inhabits bushy areas and woodland places.

Early Moth

Two species within the trap required some further research before I could identify them, and I have to admit I am still not sure that I have got them right. The first was a tiny micro moth which I think is Mompha jurassicella which is a Red Data Book Species and the other I think is Agonopterix heracliana, which is a species of gardens and woodland edges.

Agonopterix heracliana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...